Orenburg State Medical University (OSMU) was founded in August 1944 by F.M. Lazarenko as Chkalov Medical Institute. The first doctors graduated in May 1946. The Institute was reorganized into The Orenburg State Medical University on July 15, 1994, by the decision of State committee of Russia on Higher School.
OSMU is located in an urban setting of the medium-sized city of Orenburg (population range of 500,000-1,000,000 inhabitants), around 1,478 kilometers southeast of Moscow, very close to the border with Kazakhstan. Orenburg State Medical Academy (OrSMA) is a small (enrollment range: 3,000-3,999 students) non-profit coeducational higher education institution encompassing around 555 members of scientific staff.
Orenburg State Medical Academy has therational system of continuous multilevel training of specialists with superior medical and pharmaceutical education.
- Department of General Medicine
- Department of Paediatrics
- Department of Dentistry
- Department of Preventive Care
- Pharmaceutical Department
- Department of Clinical Psychology
- Department of Post-graduate Coaching for Specialists.
- Department of Higher Nursing Care.
The staff of the university consists of about 700 teachers (c. 100 doctors of sciences and c. 350 candidates of sciences). 39 professors of the University are academicians and corresponding members of domestic and foreign Academies.
The territory of the university (without the clinical bases) occupies 17.3 hectares. It has 16 educational buildings, five hostels, covered track and field athletics arena, sport centre (with stadium and swimming pool), several cafes. The library fund of university is about 600,000 books. University has also its own publishing centre.